Training by Topic
For more than 30 years, The Poynter Institute has had one goal: to make journalism better. Poynter teaches in-person and online, offering all the training you need to improve your journalism skills in the digital age, from writing to multimedia to leading teams during changing times. We deliver training that fits your schedule and meets your needs, with individual coaching, in-person seminars, online courses, Webinars and more.
Whether you’re a beat reporter or a new manager, a producer breaking ground online or on the air, a photojournalist or a designer, a future journalist or a journalism teacher, a publisher or station owner, Poynter can help you get better at what you do. We want you to be equipped with new tools and ideas to handle the challenges of producing quality news reports, programs, and publications, and with new ways of thinking about the work that you do.
Here’s what we hope you will gain:
- The courage to take risks and to do your best
- A higher sense of self-esteem and the power to shape your own career
- New confidence in your craft
- A recognition of the value of diversity in the newsroom and in life
- The vocabulary to describe what you do and why, and what you stand for
- A desire to continue your growth as a journalist and to share what you’ve learned
- A new network of people who support you in your work, so your learning continues
- A clear picture of the special role of journalism in a democracy
- An understanding that your life’s work is valuable and that you can make a difference