The Effective Reporter (WRBC-14)
This is a 3-day intensive workshop that will help reporters at all levels sharpen their reporting and writing skills for the 21st century newsroom. See the schedule here.
At the seminar, journalists will learn the essential skills of reporting based on data and documents, as well as strategies for effective sourcing and interviewing. Reporters will learn how to tell powerful stories across multiple platforms – using a toolkit that includes generating story ideas, focusing stories and using scenes and characters to enrich their storytelling. Reporters will also learn how to work on projects – from writing the project proposal, to mapping out the stories in a series, to getting it done on time.
- How to use documents and data in your reporting
- How to cultivate sources and interview more effectively
- How to brainstorm great story ideas
- How to focus your stories and write with greater clarity
- How to bring your stories to life with scenes and characters
- How to organize a project
- How to build strong relationships across the newsroom
- How to use social media to build your brand
Looking for ways to use Google tools to power your reporting?
Come to Poynter a day early and join us for Google Day @ Poynter.
In this daylong Poynter NewsU broadcast, you’ll get hands-on training you can use immediately in your work.
Who Will Benefit:
Dallas Morning News Sunday and Enterprise Editor, Poynter Editing Fellow
Senior Faculty, Broadcast and Online
Senior Editor for Enterprise at CNN Digital, Poynter Writing and Editing Fellow
Investigations Editor, Tampa Bay Times