Poynter Editors Boot Camp 1 (WEBC-13)
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS SEMINAR ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.
You’ve just been told that you’re going to be promoted into an editing position. Congratulations! Now what? The Poynter Editors Boot Camp is designed to help brand-new editors get a running start. Led by veteran, award-winning editors, the two-day seminar will teach these journalists fundamental skills that will help them succeed as new editors in the newsroom.
The editors will learn techniques for sharper line editing, as well as strategies to coach their reporters and help them brainstorm ideas. They will also build up their editing toolkit through sessions on time management, headline writing and SEO, social media tools for reporting and editing, and ethical decision-making.
You can come to Poynter for the two-day, in-person event or you can attend the day-long workshop online through Poynter’s NewsU.
Schedule (In-Person Seminar)
- Forensics of story editing
- How to coach your reporters
- Helping your reporters brainstorm ideas
- Tips and tricks from veteran editors
- How to manage your time as a new editor
- How to bring skepticism to your editing
- Social media tools
- Ethical decision-making in the newsroom