Essential Skills for New Managers (Illinois)
Are you a newsroom manager with responsibility for a staff and its work?
Do you feel the need for help?
Maybe you’re an inexperienced manager just starting your new role. Or maybe you’ve got managerial experience but have had little training. In either case, you could use some tools — and a hefty dose of confidence.
Poynter can provide the help you’re looking for. Essential Skills for New Managers will give you the tools and confidence to lead and grow a staff of high-performing journalists. You’ll learn from Butch Ward, Poynter’s Senior Faculty for Leadership and a former Managing Editor at the Philadelphia Inquirer. You’ll also learn from Carol Fowler, who for two decades led award-winning broadcast news operations in Chicago and is now a content strategist helping people and brands succeed in social media.
And thanks to a grant from the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, this high-impact seminar in downtown Chicago is being offered tuition-free for managers at digital, broadcast and print organizations in Illinois.
This three-day seminar will change the way you do your job. You’ll receive personalized feedback — from your newsroom — about your strengths and challenges. You’ll get help for leading your staff through the transition of becoming digital-first. You’ll get advice for addressing your most pressing concerns with coaching from Poynter faculty, one-on-one. Click here to apply.
You’ll return home with what you need to begin seeing results immediately.
You’ll learn how to:
- Establish your credibility as a leader, even if you are new in your role
- Provide feedback and coaching that will improve your staff’s work and motivation
- Focus your staff’s work every day on the audiences you’re trying to reach
- Use your time to more effectively carry out your responsibilities
- Build effective relationships with your staff, your peers and your boss
- Manage people who were once your peers, friends or bosses
- Plan and carry out difficult conversations that get results
- Lead brainstorming meetings that produce better ideas
Thanks to a grant from the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, tuition, basic travel expenses and hotel costs for the seminar in downtown Chicago will be covered for those whose applications are accepted.
Who Should Apply: Managers with less than four years of experience in a digital, print or broadcast newsroom, and whose company is located in Illinois. Seating is limited. Click here to apply.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.