Essential Skills for New Managers (M406-14)
The Great Bosses Seminar Series
Jump start your management career with this Poynter seminar, which provides the skills and tools you need to succeed.
Poynter’s experts will teach you how to build your team’s performance, improve quality and meet your organization’s goals. We’ll give you personalized feedback — from your newsroom — about your strengths and challenges, as well as customized coaching. And you’ll learn tools for managing your staff that you can begin using on your first day back at work. (DRAFT schedule.)
- How to establish your credibility as a leader, even if you are new in your role
- How to provide feedback and coaching to improve quality and motivation
- How to excel in communication, collaboration and conflict resolution
- How to manage people who were once your peers, friends or bosses
- How to plan and carry out difficult conversations that help you and your staff work more effectively
You’ll also connect with leaders from a wide range of media outlets, sharing ideas and solutions, and making valuable contacts that last long after your time at Poynter.