Poynter Summit on Reporting and Editing (May 2017)
We’ve merged our most popular reporting and editing seminars into one power-packed week for reporters and editors. Featuring Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Jacqui Banaszynski and award-winning editor Tom Huang, this week-long seminar will give you tools to ensure that your most important stories are not just published — they are read.
Two tracks will help you dig deeper: beat/enterprise reporting and editing. And we’ll come together in large group sessions to explore the common threads that will help you tell more powerful stories, no matter what role you play in your organization. You’ll leave Poynter with a personal action plan to put what you’ve learned into practice.
As a reporter, you’ll learn to:
- Turn your watchdog reporting and other investigative projects into compelling “reads” that hold your audience from lead to kicker
- Improve your interviewing skills to ask better questions — and get the answers you need
- Infuse your daily deadline reporting with memorable characters, vivid scenes and focused story lines
- Develop the heightened senses necessary for gathering the details, nuance and dialogue that distinguish the best narrative reporting and writing
- Identify fresh, creative stories from civic or institutional beats
- Map non-traditional beats that reflect how people live today
As an editor, you’ll learn to:
- Help your team generate fresh and compelling ideas
- Edit for emphasis and clarity
- Deliver effective feedback and coaching
- Explore new ways of telling stories in the digital space
- Manage big stories and projects
General sessions will cover:
- Brainstorming great story ideas
- Finding focus — and the heart of the story
- Understanding and using the writing process
- Reporting and editing with data and documents
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special pricing is available for this seminar
Some of our members receive discounts on Poynter training. Not a member yet? Learn more about our Poynter Prepared Membership Program and find the plan that’s right for you.
Who Will Benefit:
The Dallas Morning News Sunday and Enterprise Editor; Poynter Editing Fellow
Senior Scholar Emeritus
Senior Faculty, Broadcast and Online
Digital Innovation Faculty
Interactive Learning Producer
Interactive Learning Manager