Poynter and the Tampa Bay Rays Build The Write Field
National Reports indicate Pinellas County, Florida, has one of the highest drop-out rates in the country. African-American boys are most at risk: Approximately one in five will graduate from our school system. The Poynter Institute, one of the world’s premier journalism schools, and the Tampa Bay Rays have decided to act by joining with local schools, law enforcement, businesses and community groups to create The Write Field.
The Write Field is a dynamic new mentoring program designed to improve the academic performance and life skills of selected middle school boys. We are pleased to be underway on the first phase of the three-year, monthly program.
This program is growing quickly, with increasing numbers of students wanting to become involved. WE NEED MORE MENTORS!
- Become a speaker and share your expertise and experience.
- Become a monthly mentor that meets regularly with the group at Poynter for the scheduled sessions from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Become a program mentor who commits to attending the monthly sessions and building a relationship with three to four Write Fielders for the school year.
All mentor candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Dedicated to the well-being of the members of the program
- Submit a written application
- Complete the Department of Children and Families (Level 2) background screening and fingerprinting
- Provide current employer information
We urge you to become part of The Write Field. For more information about how to participate, contact program director Kenny Irby, email@example.com or 727-553-4297.
Article: “Poynter Institute Reaches Out To The Community”
The Weekly Challenger - May 11, 2012
Sponsors: Poynter, Tampa Bay Rays, Tampa Bay Times, HSN, Wells Fargo and Florida Blue. To donate to the program, please contact Ann Madsen at 727-821-9494.
Special thanks to: St. Petersburg Police Department; Greater Mount Zion A.M.E. Church; Pinellas County Schools: John Hopkins Middle, Thurgood Marshall Middle, Tyrone Middle, Oak Grove Middle and Bay Point Middle; Academy Prep Center of St. Petersburg and Imagine School at St. Petersburg; St. Petersburg Police Athletic League; Chick-fil-A at Fourth Street North; and Chili’s Grill & Bar Parkside Mall.